Meta-Stuff

On a Sad Note…

I’m sad to report that Natalie has left the site. We greatly appreciate her work and her writing up to this point, and we’re sure she’ll continue to be successful in whatever her future endeavors may be. We’ve invited her to come back and post any time, and if she ends up posting elsewhere you can be sure we’ll link to her.

Previous post

Being Closeted to Yourself

Next post

AI: Queer Role Models

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca Watson

Rebecca leads a team of skeptical female activists at Skepchick.org. She travels around the world delivering entertaining talks on science, atheism, feminism, and skepticism. There is currently an asteroid orbiting the sun with her name on it. You can follow her every fascinating move on Twitter or on Google+.

34 Comments

1. January 12, 2012 at 12:21 pm —

NOOOOOOOOO!

2. January 12, 2012 at 12:27 pm —

Well, damn. I was really enjoying seeing her tackle trans issues in a skeptical setting, and providing a good way to critically look at the intersections of gender and biology.

Hope she picks it back up, here or elsewhere.

3. January 12, 2012 at 12:28 pm —

This is indeed sad news… Rebecca, are there any current endeavors of her’s you know about and could link to?

• January 12, 2012 at 12:35 pm —

Not as of right now but I’m sure Queereka will link to anything she does in the future!

• January 12, 2012 at 12:36 pm —

As far as I know, right now she’s taking a break and re-grouping. We will be sure to link to her if she decides to start writing somewhere new, but right now she’s not sure if that’s what she’s going to do. (This is according to Facebook, by the way. I’m not trying to speak on her behalf).

Her writing will definitely be missed, but we will all continue to tackle issues relevant to queer skeptics.

• January 12, 2012 at 10:19 pm —

Thanks for that clarification – I was fearing that she’d gotten threats or something. I’m still sad to hear that she’s left, but relieved that it wasn’t for that reason.

Best of luck in the future, Natalie!

• January 12, 2012 at 5:44 pm —

Thanks for the info. Hope everything gets sorted out for her.

4. January 12, 2012 at 1:04 pm —

Oh no! I enjoyed her writing. What happened?

• January 12, 2012 at 1:12 pm —

We all very much enjoy her writing as well! This network just wasn’t the right fit for her, but we’re sure that she’ll find another outlet soon.

• January 14, 2012 at 7:49 pm —

I have just read the article that is apparently the reason why Natalie is leaving. I must say that this has lowered my opinion of this site. Is it now an editorial position that self-harm is OK, to be encouraged even?

• January 14, 2012 at 8:29 pm —

The article on BIID had nothing to do with it.

• January 14, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Then I amend my question, with apologies.

I have just read the article on BIID. I must say that this has lowered my opinion of this site. Is it now an editorial position that self-harm is OK, to be encouraged even?

• January 14, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Let’s talk about the BIID article in the comments section of that article, where it is relevant to the topic.

5. January 12, 2012 at 1:21 pm —

I quite appreciated her writing. I hope she’ll be well!

6. January 12, 2012 at 2:36 pm —

This is very sad news. Best wishes, Natalie, if you get the chance to read this.

She left some big shoes to fill, but I hope the network can find another trans woman blogger to join in.

• January 12, 2012 at 2:40 pm —

Yeah, we definitely want some more trans people involved!

7. January 12, 2012 at 2:57 pm —

WAAAHHHH.

I really enjoyed her posts so far and was looking forward to regular entries. Now I’ll have to wait.

And to everyone else on the site so far, it’s been great reading all the entries. Good things to read and learn from.

8. January 12, 2012 at 3:48 pm —

Well this is incredibly depressing. 🙁

Due to my recent realization of my own transsexuality, Natalie’s articles were the most interesting for me. She will be dearly missed.

9. January 12, 2012 at 3:49 pm —

This is a sad day. Her posts had definitely become many of my favorite. I hope she doesn’t disappear from the internet entirely.

We will miss you Natalie 🙁

10. January 12, 2012 at 3:50 pm —

Natalie I’ve been enjoying your writing both as an official contributor and commenter.

I look forward to reading your work elsewhere and I trust that the fine folks here at the skepchick network will let us know where to look for you in the future.

11. January 12, 2012 at 3:59 pm —

I subscribed to this site because I enjoyed the posts I saw in skepchick from her. I am disappointed that she’s gone. Please link to her blog if she has one to share.

12. January 12, 2012 at 4:04 pm —

This sucks. This massively sucks.

13. January 12, 2012 at 8:40 pm —

@Blaine, yes, yes it does. 🙁

14. January 13, 2012 at 12:19 am —

I’m disappointed that Natalie and Skepchick have parted ways after her making such a stellar beginning, but I hope she’ll be able to post more illuminating articles elsewhere – and maybe the odd submission here too!

15. January 13, 2012 at 4:03 am —

awwww 🙁 That’s very sad news indeed. I really enjoyed Natalie’s articles. Best of luck to her in her future endeavours though.

16. January 13, 2012 at 5:56 am —

I really enjoyed Natalie’s articles, as well as her comments on other blogs as well, so I do hope that she is successful in her future endeavours.

17. January 13, 2012 at 11:10 am —

Well, shit.

No offence to the other writers here but Natalie was my favorite. I’m going to miss her. She was the one who finally convinced me of the error of my chromosomes=sex=gender mindset.

If she starts writing someplace else be sure to post a link. I can’t get enough of her sweet, sweet brain gravy.

18. January 13, 2012 at 11:49 am —

boo 🙁 she will be missed.

19. January 13, 2012 at 3:31 pm —

For clarification, since there seems to have been a bit of misunderstanding… it was not quite as simple as my just deciding to leave. It’s not the kind of thing that I can discuss, but believe me, I would very much have liked to continue here, it just wasn’t really possible in a way that would have worked for both myself and for other parties. Or at least no such compromise was found before the decision was made. I’m sorry.

• January 13, 2012 at 5:52 pm —

Well, that’s a damned shame. You’d gotten to be my favourite writer here.

• January 13, 2012 at 9:54 pm —

We’ll all miss you! Good luck with whatever you go on to, and thanks for all your fantastic and eye-opening articles!

20. January 14, 2012 at 2:12 am —

That is extremely disappointing.
    Please keep writing Natalie, and good luck.

21. January 28, 2012 at 10:18 pm —

I now have a new blog at Freethought Blogs, called “Sincerely, Natalie Reed”. Url is: