Our dear Rachel is out sick, and she asked someone to post some quickies for her. Ask and you shall receive, friend (though it may be, like 6 hours late). Hope you get well soon, Rachel.
Marriage Equality News:
- Proposition 8, which banned marriage equality in California, found to be unconstitutional by 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. The case will likely head to Supreme Court. Yessenia points out an epic quote from the ruling: “Proposition 8 serves no purpose, and has no effect, other than to lessen the status and human dignity of gays and lesbians in California, and to officially reclassify their relationships and families as inferior to those of opposite-sex couples.”
- Washington State headed quickly towards passing marriage equality. The bill passed the Senate last week, and will be voted on this afternoon by the House. Governor Chris Gregorie, who requested the measure be brought up for a vote, says she will sign the law when passed.
- A marriage equality bill has been introduced in Illinois.
- Polling in New Hampshire shows strong opposition among voters to a bill that would repeal marriage equality in that state.
- Ellen responds to “One Million Moms” organization’s call for her to be fired as JC Penny Spokesperson.
- Gay youth’s beating caught on tape. Investigation continues.
- More transphobia and cissexism in legislation.
- CNN’s Roland Martin doubles down on homophobic Superbowl tweet. (UPDATE: CNN suspends Martin.)
- Mixed reaction to gay beauty pageant in Namibia.
Around the Skeptical Blogosphere…
- Rebecca continues to call out the patriarchy (and, as expected, the menz come in to derail!)
- Stephanie Zvan of Almost Diamonds talks about how British lawmakers have failed the Turing test.
- Ian Cromwell of The Crommunist Manifesto jumps into some continuing discussions over whether or not Islamophobia exists.
Image from CNN’s Proposition 8 Political Ticker blog.