Quickies: Blood Donation, Gizzy Fowle, OKCupid
- The US to Consider Allowing Queer Men to Donate Blood – Men who have sex with men are currently banned from donating blood in several countries including the US. The Obama Administration will be holding hearings starting Thursday to consider easing or lifting the ban.
- Obama Appoints New LGBT Liaison – “Indian-American Aditi Hardikar – who helped run voter outreach and finance for Obama’s presidential campaign in 2012 – will take up a liaison role for LGBT, Asian-American, and Pacific Islander communities.”
- Men’s College Basketball Has First Openly Gay Player – Derrick Gordon became the first openly gay man to play in a Division I game during Friday’s U Mass Vs Siena game. (I don’t follow sports, but a quick search shows that women’s college basketball has had open lesbian players for at least a year.)
- Nashville Trans Woman of Color Murdered – 24-year-old Gizzy Fowler was the tenth trans woman of color to be murdered in the USA this year. Police are investigating November 12th murder and ask that anyone with information to call the hotline listed in the link.
- Rachel Maddow on Late Lawmaker’s Secret Same-Sex Marriage – Maddow profiles IL Senator Penny Severns, who died in her 40s of breast cancer, and interviews Terry Mutchler, former partner of Sen Severns who wrote a book about their secret relationship.
- OKCupid Introducing New Sexuality and Gender Options – A subset of users are now able to chose from twelve different sexualities, including “asexual” and “homoflexible,” and 22 different genders. Users will be able to select up to five of each.
- American Atheists PR Director Comes Out as Transgender – In a guest post on the Friendly Atheist, Danielle Muscato said, “For all practical purposes, very little will change as far as my work. The only real difference for now is that, going forward, I prefer to be called Danielle instead of Dave, and I prefer the use of feminine personal pronouns (she/her rather than he/him). I have the full support of my bosses, American Atheists President David Silverman and Managing Director Amanda Knief, as well as my other co-workers.” You have our full support too, Danielle!
Featured Image: Gizzy Fowler