Quickies: Furries Gassed, Trans Woman Shot, Kate Pierson’s Trans Anthem
- Furries Targeted in Chlorine Gas Attack – Police are investigating what they describe as an “intentional” chlorine gas leak that left 19 were hospitalized. The attack occurred between midnight and 1am at the Hyatt hotel in Rosemont IL, which was hosting a furry convention. Furries tend to be looked down upon in certain communities, but their hobby/kink is harmless and should be just as accepted as Star Trek cosplay and leather kink.
- Trans WoC Shot to Death in LA – Police are investigating Deshawnda Bradley’s death and have not ruled out the possibility that it was a hate crime. #BlackLivesMatter #WomensLivesMatter #TransLivesMatter
- “An Open Letter to Kate Pierson, From a Trans Woman and Fan, About Your New ‘Trans Anthem’ Attempt” – Trans activist and musician Jamie Cooper Holland reacts to the former B-52s front woman’s new single, “Mister Sister,” and the comments she’s made about the song.
- Parents React to Child Coming Out as Trans – by retracting the birth announcement that had misgendered him and welcoming him as their son – from John.
- “South Korea: LGBT protesters occupy Seoul City Hall” – “A group of protesters have staged a sit-in at Seoul City Hall, after the government dropped plans for a human rights charter which banned discrimination against gays.”
- 12-y-o Dead Following Bullying – Ronin Shimizu endured ongoing harassment for being the only male cheerleader on his schools squad. Eventually he switched schools, but it appears that was too little, too late.
- Growing Up as a Gender-Nonconforming PoC – StoryCorps’ OutLoud initiative features the story of a Kiyan Williams, who was the first to attend college of his family from Newark NJ.
- Vogueing Viral Video Star Gets Modeling Contract – 15 year-old Brendan Jordan, who’s vogueing video bombing of a Las Vegas news report went viral, is now modeling for American Apparel. What a stark contrast between his world and those of Ronin Shimizu and Kiyan Williams.
Featured image: Deshawnda Bradley via Kerri Cecil on Twitter