Quickies: Same-Sex Marriage, Anti-Trans Discrimination, Muslim Drag Queens
- SCOTUS to Hear Same-Sex Marriage Cases – “On Friday afternoon, the Supreme Court agreed to review the 6th Circuit’s decision upholding gay marriage bans in Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee, and Kentucky.” US Attorney General Eric Holder released a statement the same day stating that the DoJ will file a ‘friend of the court’ brief supporting same-sex marriage.
- “What Married Same-Sex Couples Need To Know About Filing Income Taxes” – The Huffington Post has some tips for same-sex couples filing taxes as a married couple for the first time.
- First Same-Sex Wedding in Baja California, Mexico – Victor Fernando Urias Amparo and Victor Manuel Aguirre Espinoza were the first same sex couple to marry in the Mexican state of Baja California. The wedding followed a two-year legal battle in which they had even been accused of madness in an attempt to deny them their right to marry.
- “Mayor of Milan Facing Criminal Charges for Registering Same-Sex Marriages” – Mayor Giuliano Pisapia of Milan, Italy is one of several Italian Mayors who have registered same-sex marriages in defiance of interior minister Angelino Alfano. Alfano ordered that all same-sex marriages were voided, but Pisapia refused and is now facing criminal charges.
- Michael Sam’s Same-Sex Proposal at Vatican City – The Catholic Church may not recognize their impending nuptials but Sam chose the top of the St. Peter’s Basilica to propose to boyfriend Vito Cammisano. The couple has now confirmed that they are engaged.
- NY AG Investigating Saks in Wake of Discrimination Case – “A highly publicized workplace discrimination lawsuit filed by a fired trans woman against Saks Fifth Avenue has caught the attention of New York’s top lawman. New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman has sent a letter to Saks informing the store he will investigate its treatment of transgender employees.”
- Janet Mock Eviscerates InTouch for Transphobic Cover – In this clip from her new MSNBC show, Mock takes InTouch to task for altering a photo of Bruce Jenner and implying that he’s secretly a trans woman, as if being trans was something to be gawked at and ridiculed.
- Study: Bisexual Women Fare Worse than Lesbians – The study, published in the Journal of Public Health, measured bi women and lesbians on several mental health and well-being outcomes, and found higher instances of mental illnesses such as depression, anxiety, and eating disorders in bisexual women.
- Muslim Drag Scene Taking Off in the UK – The Huffington Post has a video interview with a Muslim drag queen talking about the newly thriving Muslim drag scene and how it is to be queer and Muslim in the UK.
Featured Image via Towelroad