Quickies: Lily Tomlin, LGBT PoCs, Demisexuality, Butch Vs Trans
- Lily Tomlin on Being a Woman, a Lesbian, and Aging in Hollywood – [Warning: Autoplay] In this Huffington Post Live interview of Lily Tomlin and Paul Weitz for their upcoming movie Grandma, Tomlin talks about feminism, age discrimination, abortion and being gay.
- Straight Pride Posters go up at Ohio University – Fliers posted anonymously on Youngstown State University campus stated, “Nobody cares about what you think you are, or what you want to have sex with.” and requested that LGBT people never talk about their identity or experiences ever again. Because that’s equality.
- Taiwanese Animators React to Anti-Gay Flannel Squad – [Warning: Autoplay] You may remember from last week the story about the students at McGuffey High School in southwestern PA organizing an anti-gay harassment campaign that included coordinated flannel outfits. These Taiwanese animators have given us what may be the perfect response.
- School Fails to Protect Gay High School Student Slashed with Screwdriver – Timothy Jefferson (16) has been attacked 10 times while attending Carver High School in Atlanta, GA. Many of the attacks have been premeditated and coordinated, but even with advanced warning, the school administration failed to protect Jefferson from an attack that may leave him literally scarred for life.
- Study: LGBT PoC’s Face Disproportionate Amounts of Discrimination – The “shocking” findings of a study co-authored by the Movement Advancement Project included the fact that LBBT PoCs are more likely to live in states that lack LGBT anti-discrimination laws, and are more likely to be unemployed and to live in poverty.
- The Prancing Elites Endure Jeers after being Barred from Christmas Parade – You can follow the all gay all black dance and cheer team on their own reality show. The first episode shows them being barred from marching in the local Christmas parade and the hostile reception they received when they decided to dance along beside the parade.
- “My Fight for Marriage Equality on Guam” – “Last week I was saddened to hear that the Governor of Guam, the island where I grew up, is denying Gay Men and Women their legal right to marry, even after being issued a legal memorandum to do so from the Attorney General of Guam. A few days later, the Archbishop of the island spoke out against same-sex marriages saying homosexuality is a ‘disorder’ and ‘intrinsically moral evil.’ I was speechless.”
- Court Rules Kenyan Government Can’t Block LGBT Groups – Kenya’s High Court ruled that blocking LGBT groups from registering as NGOs violated Article 36 of the Kenya’s Constitution, which guarantees the freedom of association.
- “Same-sex Couple Wed at British Embassy in Japan” – “Diplomats Tim Johnson and Ryan Parkins married in a public ceremony at the embassy, to encourage Japan to advance on LGBT rights.”
- “France’s Top Gay Hate Group becomes a Political Party” – “But they don’t want to win elections, they just want a tax break.”
- “#Occupotty and the Gender Politics of Bathrooms” – “The floor plan of the White House recently made headlines because of a subtle change that’s caused a bit of a stir: it now features a gender-neutral restroom.”
- “10 Things I Wish I’d Known When I Started My Transition” – “Two years and 4,860 pills later, I now realize how little I actually understood back then. There were so many aspects of transitioning and being treated like a woman in society that I was totally unprepared for. And today I’d like to share 10 lessons that I wish I had known in February 2011.”
- The Sometimes Fine Line Between Butch and Trans – Slate discusses the “porous border” that separates butch women from trans men, and seems surprised that gender expression, identity and orientation can manifest in complex ways that defy simple binary categories.
- “Assorted Thoughts on Demisexuality” – “Demisexuality is very simply not feeling sexually attracted to someone until you have a close emotional relationship. It’s not the same as choosing not to have sex with people unless you’re in a relationship, or being a prude, or not being able to get laid, or wanting to emotionally like the people you have sex with. It’s on the asexuality spectrum and is simply that you have no pants feels for someone until you have emotion feels for them.” (There are other expressions of it, but yeah.)
- Representative Introduces Bill to “Restrain Steve King from Legislating” – After
StateHouse Rep. King introduced the ridiculous “Restrain the Judges on Marriage Act,” intending to stop federal judges in Coloradofrom ruling on marriage equality, fellow House Rep. Jared Polis introduced the “Restrain Steve King from Legislating Act” to bar King from introducing flagrantly unconstitutional legislation.
Featured image via Frontiers Media