Quickies: Jerusalem Pride Attack, Trans People on Jenner, DeLari on Bowie
- “Jerusalem Gay Pride: Six stabbed ‘by ultra-Orthodox Jew’” – Only weeks after completing a 12-year prison sentence following a similar attack, Yishai Schlissel stabbed 6 people at Jerusalem Pride Thursday. Sixteen year old Shira Banki has died. Thousands across Israel have rallied in protest.
- “Suspect Arrested In Murder Of Transgender Woman India Clarke” – “DNA evidence linked 18-year-old Keith Lamayne Gaillard to Clarke’s death, according to a Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office press release. Investigators found Gaillard’s DNA under Clarke’s fingernails, as well as on a condom containing fluid in her car.”
- Transgender People on Caitlyn Jenner – Several transgender people give their reaction Caitlyn Jenner following the premier of I Am Cait.
- “Four Challenges Trans People Face that You Won’t See on ‘I Am Cait’” – The reason that so many of us are wary of Jenner being the New Face of Trans is that transitioning is very different if you aren’t a white, wealthy celebrity.
- “Meet the transgender women who inspired, star in Tangerine” – “[Tangerine] would have never happened had Baker not met trans women and aspiring performers Mya Taylor and Kitana Kiki Rodriguez at the Los Angeles LGBT Center a few years prior. It was their lives and their deep knowledge of the neighborhood that inspired and informed the film.”
- Police Drag Man from Home, Beat Him, and Shout Slurs – “A gay Staten Island caterer says cops who were captured on video taking him down in his front yard, beat him while shouting homophobic slurs, the Daily News has learned. Louis Falcone, 31, wasn’t charged as a result of the June 19 takedown, and now plans to sue in federal court for civil rights violations, lawyer Eric Subin said.”
- “Lea DeLaria on Bowie, Butches, and Singing Jazz” – “Lea DeLaria may be best known for her role as Big Boo on Netflx’s Orange Is the New Black, but she has also enjoyed a long career as a jazz singer. In June, she released House of David, an album of jazz versions of 12 classic David Bowie songs.”
Featured image: protestors at Meir Park via Motti Kimchi