Quickies: Protests in Russia and Italy, LGBT Refugees Attacked, HerStory
- “Vietnam Lifts Ban On Same-Sex Marriage” – It’s no longer illegal for same-sex couples to marry, but they are not yet afforded the same legal protections as opposite sex partners.
- “Nearly 1 Million Italians Rally for Civil Unions” – “Protesters are urging their lawmakers to pass legislation that would recognize civil unions for same-sex couples. This legislation is also expected to grant custody of children raised by these couples to both partners, not just the biological parent.”
- Rainbow Activists March on Moscow to Protest Anti-LGBT Laws – Marchers were there to protest both Russia’s “homosexual propaganda” law and newly proposed legislation that would make it illegal to publicly identify as LGBT. From Critical Dragon1177
- Berlin to Open LGBT Center for Refugees Following Attacks – The new center will be run by Schwulenberatung, an LGBT rights group in Berlin, and will serve 125 asylum seekers. This follows reports of 95 anti-LGBT attacks, mostly taking place inside existing refugee centers.
- HerStory: Made by and for Trans Women – Check out this great mini web series about dating as a trans woman.
- “5 Reasons Why Black People Are More Affected by HIV” – A look at how historical injustices and current economic and social factors lead to higher risks of infection for black people in the USA.
- Huff-Po does Asexuality 101 – [Warning: Autoplay] Huff-Po did a 25 min podcast answering some common questions about asexuality.
Featured image: LGBT Activists in Moscow via Facebook