Quickies: Lady Gaga on Abuse, HIV+ Organ Transplants, Religious Liberty
- “It Changes You Forever” – Lady Gaga talks to NPR’s Michel Martin about her song “Til it Happens to You,” written for the documentary “The Hunting Ground,” about sexual assault on college campuses, and how David Bowie inspired her work.
- Portugal Legalizes Same-Sex Adoption – This follows a presidential veto and override vote by the the newly elected, left-leaning parliament.
- HIV+ Organ Transplants No Longer Outlawed in the USA – HIV+ patients will soon be able to receive organs from HIV+ donors who are/were on the same antiviral treatments.
- “‘Religious Liberty’ and the Anti-LGBT Right” – Read the SPLC’s report on how anti-LGBT groups are attacking LGBT rights through “religious liberty” legislation. From critical dragon 1177.
- Georgia Passes Bill to Protect Religious Orgs from The Gays – The bill makes explicit protections that were already in place for churches who don’t want to marry same-sex couples. It may also give more leeway for religious schools and other organizations to discriminate against LGBT people.
- The Challenge of Trans-Masculine Healthcare – The Fenway Institute in Boston is currently collecting data and proposing solutions to address the challenges inherent in providing healthcare for masculine of center transgender people, especially when addressing sexual health. (Looks like lot of the the issues are applicable to trans and nonbinary people in general.)
- Attempt to Block LGBT Dance Backfires – “The Australian Same Sex Gender Diverse Formal hosted by Minus 18, aims to help create a safe environment for teens to bring their same-sex boyfriends or girlfriends and dress in whatever attire makes them comfortable without it becoming a political issue.” An anti-LGBT group tried to block the event by buying out all the tickets, but they ended up instead donating to the crowd-funding campaign to provide free tickets to low-income students. From critical dragon 1177.
Featured image: Lady Gaga via CBS