Quickies: Queer Dads, Pride, Sodomy Laws
I’m missing Pride for the second year in a row due to conflicts with family gatherings. Since I can’t be there in person, I’m be showing my solidarity with the LGBTQ community through continued coverage of Pride celebrations throughout June.
- President Obama gave a shout out to gay dads in this year’s Father’s Day proclamation.
- Check out this gallery of Pride celebrations in Croatia, Romania, Seoul, Guadalajara, and Rome. Unfortunately, some of these celebrants required police escorts to deal with the protestors.
- A queer man was bashed a block away from Detroit’s Pride festival. This is why we still need Pride, and why Pride needs to be intersectional to fight homophobia, transphobia, femphobia, racism, classism…
- Another reason we need Pride: sodomy laws remain on the books in many states, despite being unconstitutional since 2003. Now we have one fewer. An appeals court struck down an Alabama law banning consensual oral and anal sex.
- And finally, this campaign ad from openly gay Providence mayoral candidate Brett Smiley makes me smile.
Featured image: Getty Images
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.