Quickies: Same-sex Marriage, Gay Bashing, Native American Art
- Americans with queer friends support same-sex marriage – at twice the rates of those who don’t. Unsurprising, but another reason to be out to friends and colleagues. OTOH, those who don’t support same-sex marriage may have fewer queer acquaintances who are willing to be out and hang out with them.
- Meet the lead plaintiffs challenging VA’s same-sex marriage ban – “We’re still in love, after 48 years… We still can’t begin the day without a good cuddle.” From Ser.
- Facebook funds Utah’s antigay attorney general’s reelection campaign – “Facebook contributed $10,000 to Republican Sean Reyes’s reelection campaign in May, according to disclosure forms filed with the Utah lieutenant governor’s office… Reyes has been handling the defense of the state’s same-sex marriage ban.” Activists are asking Facebook and Mark Zuckerberg to make matching donations to Reyes’s opponents to offset the donations. Petition here.
- Gay Games update – Ida Keeling set the world record for fastest 100m dash run by a 99 year old.You go girl!
- Gay bashing victim sentenced to 10 years for defending himself – Luke O’Donovan was attacked by a group of men shouting homophobic slurs, kicking, punching and stabbing him. For defended himself with a pocket knife, O’Donovan was arrested and charged with attempted murder and five counts of felony aggravated assault. On August 11, O’Donovan agreed to a plea deal and was sentenced to 2 years in prison followed by 8 years of parole.
- LGBs who seek help just as likely to attempt suicide – “A new study finds that lesbians, gay men and bisexuals (LGB) who sought mental health treatment from health care providers were no less likely to attempt suicide than LGB people who did not seek any treatment at all.” Those who seek religious counseling are more likely to attempt suicide. FML.
- The Advocate spotlights artist Kent Monnkman – Monkman exposes the exploitation of Native Americans in art by queering traditional depictions with Native-on-cowboy sex. His use of drag mirrors the Native drag embodied in depictions Natives in ceremonial garb. Some pictures NSFW.
Featured image: Monkman’s History Is Painted by the Victors via The Advocate