Quickies: New CA Laws, Flipping Scripts, and #WhatTransLooksLike
- CA to Ban Trans and Gay Panic Defenses – Currently, CA law allows murder charges to be reduced to manslaughter if the defendant was suddenly provoked. Once the governor signs AB2501 into law, defendants will no longer be able to us a victim’s gender identity or sexual orientation in this defense.
- CA to Colleges: Sex Requires Affirmative Consent – Another awesome piece of CA legislation, SB 967 requires colleges to implement programs to curb instances of sexual violence, and to hold students to the standard of affirmative consent. As stated in the bill,
It is the responsibility of each person involved in the sexual activity to ensure that he or she has the affirmative consent of the other or others to engage in the sexual activity. Lack of protest or resistance does not mean consent, nor does silence mean consent. Affirmative consent must be ongoing throughout a sexual activity and can be revoked at any time. The existence of a dating relationship between the persons involved, or the fact of past sexual relations between them, should never by itself be assumed to be an indicator of consent.
Of course, mainstream media is trying to remain “fair and balanced” by quoting reactions from rape apologists.
- Australia Protesters Flip Script on Anti-Choice Conference – Protesters blocked the entrance to the World Congress of Families conference, forcing attendees and speakers to exit their cars and wade through the hostile crowd. In addition to promoting anti-choice lies about the purported link between cancer and abortion, the WCoF is generally anti-woman and anti-LGBT.
- Update on St. Louis County Officer Dan Page – You may remember from last week that Page was suspended pending investigation after he accosted CNN correspondent Don Lemon and was subsequently outed as a Christofascits bigot. Page has retired as of last Monday, keeping his benefits and ending the investigation.
- Michael Sam Cut form Rams – Sam practiced with the team in the preseason but failed to make the final 53-man roster. Sam was named 2013 Co-Defensive Player of the Year, and should have picked up much earlier in the draft, but the NFL’s homophobia lead to Sam going to the already defense-heavy Rams in the 7th round. Although Sam performed well during the preseason, he was out-played by fellow rookie Ethan Westbrooks and failed to pick up the only open spot on this year’s Ram’s defense. Sam is now a free agent, and he may be picked up for another team’s practice squad in the coming days.
- Facebook Implements Gender Neutral Relationship Descriptions – In recognition of non-binary gender individuals, Facebook now supports relationship labels such as “parent”, “sibling”, “child”, “sibling of parent”, and “child of sibling.” Personally, I find the gender-neutral nomenclature for aunt/uncle and niece/nephew relations is a bit cumbersome, but it’s preferable to being misgendered.
- The Huffington Post Features #WhatTransLooksLike – Transgender Twitter users have been tagging selfies with #WhatTransLooksLike, and the Huffington Post is featuring a selection of the photos to promote trans visibility. The Huffington Post also has features for #WhatButchLooksLike, #WhatBiLooksLike and #WhatABearLooksLike.
Featured Image: @woofwooftrick via Twitter