- The Push to Include Orientation in PA Hate Crimes – Following the Sept 11th attack on two gay men in Philadelphia, activists and politicians are working to get sexual orientation to the identities covered by PA hate crimes legislation. Suspects in the attack have been identified through video social media as alumni of Archbishop Wood High School. So far, no arrests have been made.
- Cis Man’s “Maternity” Photos Go Viral – On the urging of his pregnant wife, this man took her place in the obligatory maternity shoot. The popularity of the photos speaks to the broad appeal of drag, and that it doesn’t take wigs, makeup, or heels to do drag. Note: linked video will autoplay.
- Activists Push for Free PrEP in San Francisco – “The day after San Francisco supervisor Scott Wiener came ‘out of the PrEP closet’ on The Huffington Post as a user of the revolutionary HIV-prevention drug, activists gathered outside of San Francisco City Hall to rally in support of an initiative to make it more available for everyone in the city, regardless of income.”
- Facebook Continues its Dangerous and Discriminatory Push for Real Names – Facebook has met with prominent drag queens targeted by the real names policy enforcement, but so far they are sticking by their policy. Forcing people to use their real names on online profiles isn’t just an inconvenience to celebrities or performers. Especially hard hit by this policy are transgender people who’s legal names often do not reflect their true genders, and stocking and abuse victims who wish to hide from their attackers.
- Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence Historic Photos – Keystone Gallery in Los Angeles will be exhibiting three decades of photos form the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, an order of drag clown nuns who do charity work in major cities around the world. You can check out some of their photos in the link. Full disclosure: I used to volunteer with the Sisters.
Featured image: “Sisters,” Mark Harvey via The Advocate