- Tomorrow is Election Day in the USA – Find out where you can vote and what’s on the ballot by following the link and entering your address. You can also text ‘everyvote’ to 30644 to get your polling place. (Standard text & data rates may apply.)
- Anti-gay activists Whatcott and LaBarbera Arrested in Canada – Peter LaBarbera will be familiar to queer news junkies as president of Americans For Truth About Homosexuality, an extreme anti-gay group. Bill Whatcott is a local Saskatchewan activist. The two were arrested for refusing to leave University of Regina, where they set up an anti-gay, anti-choice booth to spread their messages of hate.
- Philadelphia passes Hate Crimes Ordinance – “Less than two months after a brutal antigay assault in Philadelphia’s City Center saw a gay couple put in the hospital, the city council unanimously passed an ordinance that imposes elevated punishments for violent attacks based on gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability status.” PA hate crime legislation does not cover sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Second Study Suggests Efficacy of On-Demand PrEP – Participants in the study took two doses at least two hours before sex, and then two doses on consecutive days following sex, rather than the daily regiment. Researchers found “very significant reduction” in the risk of HIV infection in participants using this regiment when compared to the placebo group.
- No Tras Actors in New Trans Film – Three Generations will feature Elle Fanning as a young trans man just starting to transition. His mother and grandmother will be played by Naomi Watts, and Susan Sarandon respectively. No word yet on whether transgender people will be consulting on the film or employed in the production crew.
- Watch Ellen DeGenerese Play it Straight for Halloween – The clip shows Ellen dressed as Amal Alamuddin with a George Clooney dummy on her arm.
Featured image via The Center on Policy Initiatives