Quickies: Gambia’s Anti-LGBT Crackdown, HRC Founder Arrested, Winnie the What?
- Gambian President Approves Life Sentences for Homosexuality – Gambian security forces are rounding up suspects and attempting to extract confessions via threats and torture.
- Trans Woman Misgendered in Own Funeral – Jennifer Gable, who died at age 32 after suffering an aneurysm, was presented as a man, misgendered and misnamed throughout the funeral services. Friends and allies are understandably upset.
- Facebook Real Names Policy Still Hurting Trans Users – A trans woman details the anguish of having her identity invalidated by multiple suspensions of her Facebook account via the “real names” rule, which has been weaponized by homophobic bigots and TERFs.
- HRC Founder Arrested, Charged with Sexual Assault of a Minor – Terry Bean has been charged with assaulting a 15-year-old boy he met on Grindr.
- Gay Former Actor Named Chief Medical Officer of Canada’s First Nation’s Health Authority – Evan Adams first became known for his role in the 1998 film Smoke Signals. Since completing his medical degree in 2002, Dr Adams has worked in HIV/AIDS prevention and substance abuse treatment, in addition to serving as director of the Aboriginal Health program at UBC.
- Touching Story of Lesbian Coming Out to Her Pakistani Family – Watch this touching coming out story of a lesbian coming out to the Muslim side of her family – from Critical Dragon1177.
- “Winnie the Pooh banned from Polish playground for being ‘inappropriate hermaphrodite’” – City council members objected to the children’s book and cartoon icon on the grounds that he lacked both pants and genitalia. I hope one of our European readers can confirm for me whether or not Polish stuffed animals come equipped with plush genitalia.
- Nintendo: Toad and Toadette are Actually Genderless – “Koichi Hayashida, the director of a number of games in the Mario series, made the revelation to Gamespot ahead of spin-off puzzle game Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.” We can only speculate on how this will effect their Polish market.
Featured image: Winnie the Pooh via Disney