Quickies: Trans Dragon Age Character, Trans Suicide Hotline, World AIDS Day
- Dragon Age: Inquisition Features Trans Character Krem – They also feature gay party members, allow for bi or same-sex relationships, and will correct your character if they misgender Krem. Krem is voiced by a cis female voice actor.
- “New Suicide Hotline Dedicated to Trans People Now Open for Calls” – “Created by a San Francisco group led by trans software developer Greta Martela, Trans Lifeline is entirely staffed by trans-identified volunteers.” Martela’s group is responding to a very real need – 41% of trans people in the US attempt suicide – nearly 10 times the national average – yet suicide hotline staff often have no idea how to talk to a transgender caller.
- Today is World AIDS Day – You can learn about HIV/AIDS, watch the live stream of the White House event at
2pmnoon – 2pm EST, read President Obama’s comments, or search for a local HIV testing center.
- Some Evangelicals Challenging Anti-Gay Teachings – Some evangelical parents of gay children are working to change the church from within. In the case of the Robertsons, the change came too late to save their son. From Critical Dragon1177
- Woodson Responds to Racist Joke – Jacqueline Woodson, the award-winning author of Brown Girl Dreaming and out lesbian, responds to racist joke Daniel Handler made while emceeing the National Book Awards.
- Finland Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage – Finland had already recognized same sex unions, but Friday’s vote means they will no longer distinguish between same sex unions and marriage.
- Drag Queen Wins People of the Year Award – Rory O’Neill, who performs as Panti Bliss, will receive one of Ireland’s People of the Year awards this December for his work in gay rights activism. You may remember him from his touching speech about oppression and micro aggressions that went viral back in January.
Featured Image: Krem via Bioware