Quickies: Experimental HIV Cure, Lavern Cox as Beyonce, Transphobic Bathroom Laws
- “New Poll Shows More Young, Poor People of Color Identify as LGBT” – “The largest population-based survey of Lesbians, Gays, Bisexual and Transgender people ever conducted in the U.S. found LGBT identity is highest among those who are younger, non-white and low income. The Gallup survey released Thursday found 4.6% of blacks, 4.3% of Asians, 4% of Latinos and 3.2% of whites identify themselves as LGBT.”
- Ontario Updates Sex-Ed Curriculum to Cover LGBT Topics – Students will learn about same-sex relationships in 3rd grade and “gender expression” in 6th grade.
- Experimental HIV Cure to Start Human Trials – “The FDA has approved a clinical trial for an experimental stem cell therapy that aims to cure HIV patients.” Listen to the story on KQED Radio.
- “HIV-Positive LGBT Women Are Discounted, Miscounted, and Uncounted” – “According to the Williams Institute, about 9 million Americans identify as LGBT — and a majority of those are bisexual women. While one in every four people living with HIV in the United States is a woman, we can’t find a single study that identifies how many of them are women who have sex with women.”
- “Laverne Cox Cast as Beyonce in Upcoming Biopic” – [Edit: This story appears on a fake news site.] “Jason Swanz, who is the casting director for the film, spoke with Billboard about choosing Cox for the lead role. ‘We thought it was very important to land a lead who closely resembled Beyonce. We immediately thought of the beautiful Laverne Cox,’ Swanz stated.”
- Four US States and Canada Want Men to Use Women’s Restrooms – Kentucky, Florida, Minnesota, Texas are trying to ban transgender people from using gender appropriate restrooms. In a move similar to that of Kylie Stanton of Victoria CA, Michael C. Hughes, a burly, bearded trans man from MN, has taken to social media under the hashtag #occupotty to demonstrate just how misguided these proposed laws are.
- Oklahoma House Approves Measure Ending State-Issued Marriage Licences – Under the new measure, only clergy could issue marriage licences. While this appears to be a tantrum in reaction to a federal judge overturning their same-sex marriage ban, they seem to be forgetting that anyone can go online and become an ordained minister.
- Irish Government Accidentally Legalizes Drugs While Banning Mixed-Sex Marriages – Due to poor wording and legal loop holes, street drugs were briefly legal in Ireland. Meanwhile, the language in the Same-Sex Referendum, when translated from English to Gaelic, could end up banning marriage between a man and a woman, so legislators are working on an amendment to fix it.
- Samantha Bee to Host Late Night Show on TBS – “The untitled series, currently in early development, will be created and executive produced by Bee alongside her husband Jason Jones.”
Featured image via News Nerd