Quickies: Kerry Washington’s Acceptance Speech, Crackdown on Russia’s Only LGBTI Youth Support Group, The Tragedy of Same-Sex Parenting
- “VIDEO: Kerry Washington accepts the Vanguard Award at the #GLAADawards” – [Warning: Autoplay] Washington gave a 7 min acceptance speech in which she spoke about the importance of solidarity in diversity.
- “Authorities try to shut down Russia’s only support group for LGBTI youths because of ‘gay propaganda’” – “A court will have to decide whether the group’s online presence, giving LGBTI teens and children a community to talk about their experiences, violates they country’s law; the court date is set for 6 April.” “Founder Lena Klimova said she would take proceedings to the European Court of Justice should the project be banned.”
- Vlogger Trounces Dolce & Gabbana Over Traditional Family Comments – Enjoy this sarcastic take down of Dolce & Gabbana’s views that only families based on one man and one woman making babies au natural are valid.
- ID House Passes Non-Binding Resolution to Impeach Pro-Equality Judges – “The Idaho House on Friday voted 44-25 in favor of a non-binding memorial to Congress calling for federal judges who rule in favor of gay marriage to be impeached.” House Minority Leader John Rusche, D-Lewiston, characterized the vote as a “fundamental error” in how the judiciary works.
- CA AG Can’t Nix “Shoot the Gays” Initiative – It turns out that $200 and proper legal language is all that’s required to get an initiative to the signature gathering stage in California. The Attorney General has no power to strike even the most blatantly unconstitutional initiatives.
- GA Superintendent Outed with Grindr Photos Sent to Papers – Monroe County School Superintendent Anthony Pack is under investigation as to whether he used school computers or his school-issued phone to post explicit pictures to Grindr. Pack denies all wrong doing and is currently seeking an amicable divorce from his wife after coming to terms with his homosexuality.
- Woman Blames Same-Sex Marriage for Father’s Absence – Heather Barwick’s biological parents divorced when she was was young, and her father had no further contact with her by his own choice. Barwick’s mother later entered a loving same-sex marriage, which Barwick blames for the absence of a father figure in her life. Let us all play the world’s tiniest orchestra in requiem for Barwick’s devastated childhood.
- “The improbable, 200-year-old story of one of America’s first same-sex ‘marriages’” – The Washington Post has an intriguing tale of a lesbian marriage that started in 1807 and lasted 40 years.
- “Why Pronouns Matter For Trans People” – [Warning: Autoplay] BuzzFeed presents a video on the importance of using correct pronouns. It’s about respect.
- “Here Is Why I Use the Word ‘Queer’” – “I’m queer because I believe that lesbian, gay, bi, trans, poly, and asexual people and everyone else has the right to identify in a way that feels authentic to them, and that no one should have to suffer a lack of inclusion because of that identity.”
Featured image via Jason Merritt/Getty Images for GLAAD
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.