Quickies: “Religious Freedom” Backlash, School Bullying, LGBT Wellness
- “5 Unexpectedly Awesome Consequences Of Indiana’s Terrible Anti-Gay ‘Religious Freedom’ Act” – “A week after the bill was passed, Pence hurriedly signed a revised measure that prohibited discrimination against the LGBT community, saying, “Over the past week, this law has become a subject of great misunderstanding and controversy across our state and nation.” But spite of the bill’s entire existence – which is abhorred by many (myself included) – there were some positive facets that came from its passage.”
- “Bobby Jindal: Louisiana’s Antigay Marriage Bill Isn’t About Discrimination” – IBM disagrees: “’A bill that legally protects discrimination based on same-sex marriage status will create a hostile environment for our current and prospective employees, and is antithetical to our company’s values,’ IBM senior state executive James M. Driesse wrote to Jindal this week. ‘IBM will find it much harder to attract talent to Louisiana if this bill is passed and enacted into law.’”
- Students Lead Anti-Gay Harassment Campaign Plagues PA School – [Warning: autoplay] The day before the National Day of Silence, when students across the country demonstrate in opposition to anti-LGBT bullying, students at McGuffey High School in southwest Pennsylvania embarked on an organized harassment campaign against LGBT students. They put anti-gay fliers on queer students’ lockers and verbally and physically assaulted queer students. They intend to continue the harassment campaign for this entire week. School officials would only say they would “investigate all allegations.”
- “We Are the Youth: Sharing the Stories of LGBTQ Youth in the United States“- “We Are the Youth is an ongoing photojournalism project that shares the stories of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer youth in the United States.”
- This Week in LGBT Wellness – The Huffinton Post’s weekly LGBT Health news roundup includes stories about manditory LGBTQ training healthcare professionals in DC and making safe spaces for LGBT med students.
- “Transgender Man Leads ‘Men’s Health’ Cover Model Contest” – NPR has an interview with the trans man who is leading in the contest for Men’s Health‘s “Ultimate Guy.” Winning would earn him a spot on the cover of the magazine, making him the first trans man on the cover of Men’s Health.
- “Women Who are Redefining Beauty” – Guff has a rundown of models upending the traditional runway, including transgender women and androgynous women who also model male clothing.
Featured image via WPXI News