Quickies: Pride Kick-Off, Pentagon Updates Policy, IL Bans Anti-Gay Therapy,
I love Pride! I love the idea of celebrating our unique selves, loving ourselves no matter how we might differ from societal norms, making ourselves visible in a world where many would prefer we simply didn’t exist. I love Pride as a concept while acknowledging the failings of it’s practice, including the hold alcohol has on the LGBT community and how certain corporate sponsors are allowed to join the march despite having failed the LGBT community. June is Pride Month, and I’ll be covering Pride – the good and the bad – from all around the world, all month, starting today!
- President Obama Declares June LGBT Pride Month – “Through struggle and setback, we see a common trajectory toward a more free and just society. But we are also reminded that we are not truly equal until every person is afforded the same rights and opportunities — that when one of us experiences discrimination, it affects all of us — and that our journey is not complete until our lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law.” Read the whole thing at WhiteHouse.gov.
- Moscow Police Crack Down on Unauthorized Pride Event – Joe. My. God. has news quotes and video of the event, in which activists attempting to display a large rainbow flag were met with counter protests and police violence.
- Dan Savage’s Advice for Straight Men Attending Pride – In an apparent attempt to avoid minimizing bisexuals, Savage makes it seem like Pride is a good place for straight men to look for “bi pussy.” My advice for straight men at Pride or anywhere at all: get to know the woman before you hit on her. Hint: If she won’t give you more than the briefest polite acknowledgement, she’s not interested, and you should leave her alone.
- Pentagon to Bar Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation – “A senior defense official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed late Friday the Defense Department is planning to update the Military Equal Opportunity Policy to add the words “sexual orientation” as part of the non-discrimination policy.” Transgender people are still banned from serving openly in the military.
- Illinois to Ban Gay Conversion “Therapy” on Minors – The IL House and Senate have both passed bans the use of gay conversion “therapy” on minors, and the bill now heads for the governor’s desk. If Gov. Rauner (R) signs the bill, IL will become the 4th state to ban the unscientific and actively harmful practice.
- Janet Mock Interviews “Prancing Elite” Star on Coming Out HIV+ – Kareem Davis came out as HIV+ in the latest episode of the Oxygen Network’s “The Prancing Elites Project,” which follows the five-member all gay all black dance team located in Mobile, AL.
- Susan Sarandon Open on Question of Potential Partners’ Genders – When asked about her dating preferences on The View, Sarandon said, “I would leave open the age, the color, the gender even, I’m open.” Let’s hope this means she’s open to trans and non-binary partners, as well!
- Trans Reactions to Bruce Jenner – BuzzFeed interviewed a handful of transgender people to get their reaction to the Bruce Jenner story. It’s no surprise that opinions vary among this diverse group.
Featured image via Wikimedia Commons
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.