Quickies: Mozambique Legalizes Gay, Police Killing the Mentally Ill, LGBT History
- “Mozambique Decriminalizes Homosexuality” – “Mozambique has scrapped a colonial-era law which outlaws homosexuality in the country for a new penal code which came into effect on Monday.”
- “Why You Can’t Be Pro-Black and Homophobic at the Same Time” – “The simple truth is this: It’s problematic for members of any one marginalized group to challenge the progress made by members of another, especially when both groups suffer as a result of the same system—a system that favors being white, male, straight and “cisgender,” a term used by academics and advocates to describe the opposite of trans.” From Critical Dragon1177
- “Of All U.S. Police Shootings, One-Quarter Reportedly Involve The Mentally Ill” – NPR interviews Kimberly Kindy on the Post article in which she and her fellow investigators found that at least 125 of the people shot by police so far this year showed signs of mental illness. The standard script for police confrontations do not work for people in mental crisis. #AneurotypicalLivesMatter
- Gay Rights Didn’t Start with Stonewall – July 5th marked the 50th anniversary of the protest in front of Independence Hall in Philadelphia dressed in business attire to make the appeal that gays and lesbians be treated as people.
- “The Lost Pink Triangles” – “A traveling exhibition produced by the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, ‘Nazi Persecution of Homosexuals 1933–1945,’ is now on view at the Museum of Jewish Heritage in New York City.”
- Watch Abby Wambach Kiss Her Wife After Winning the World Cup – Check out this gif of Wambach celebrating the US’s 5-2 victory over Japan.
Featured image via Solange Dos Santos
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.