Quickies: 5 More Trans Women Dead, HIV Stigma, British Heteroflexibility
- Five More Trans Women Reported Dead Last Week – Towleroad has a run down on the 5 trans women reported dead last week and the 13 previously reported dead this year.
- Today, HIV/AIDS Stigma Can be Scarier than Disease – “Now, if you were to test positive today, how did that happen? What a disappointment you are. Why weren’t you listening to all these prevention messages that we’ve been giving you all these years? You must be a terrible person.”
- British Study: Half of Young Adults not fully Heterosexual – “Asked to plot themselves on a ‘sexuality scale’, 23% of British people choose something other than 100% heterosexual – and the figure rises to 49% among 18-24 year olds Invented by Alfred Kinsey in the 1940s, the Kinsey scale plots individuals on a range of sexual dispositions from exclusively heterosexual at 0 through to exclusively homosexual at 6.” Most of those plotted themselves a 1, which is sometimes called “heteroflexible.”
- Australia: No Vote on Same-Sex Marriage – “Australia’s government has blocked a free vote on same-sex marriage, with Prime Minister Tony Abbott saying the issue should be “put to the people” following the next election.”
- Gay Rights Protesters Attacked in Ukraine – “Masked men have hurled smoke bombs into a venue in the Ukraine port city of Odessa where gay rights activists were about to hold a forum… LGBT activists were planning to hold a forum on the history of the gay rights movement in the strategic Black Sea port city, after a local court on Thursday banned a planned march over fears it could spark violence.”
- “9 Affirmations You Deserve to Receive If You Have a Mental Illness” – LGBT people are more likely than cis-het folks to suffer from mental illness. Everyday Feminism has an article to help combat stigma and promote well-being.
- “Dolce & Gabbana’s Domenico Dolce Apologizes For Anti-IVF, Anti-Gay Adoption Remarks” – Five months late, Dolce admits, “I don’t know everything about IVF, but I love it when people are happy.”
Featured image via YouGov