Quickies: Military Ban on Trans Ending, Duke No Fun Home, Rentboy Bust
- US Military Ban on Transgender Service Members Ending in 2016 – “he Pentagon’s ban on transgender troops would end May 27 under a draft timeline on repeal of the policy that affects about 12,000 troops, according to a document obtained by USA TODAY.” About time!
- Gay Refugees Address U.N. Security Council – “’This is the first time in history that the council has held a meeting on the victimization of LGBT persons,’ U.S. Ambassador Samantha Power said in her remarks. ‘It is the first time we are saying, in a single voice, that it is wrong to target people because of their sexual orientation and gender identity. It is a historic step. And it is, as we all know, long overdue.’”
- The Awful Caitlyn Jenner Halloween Costume – And the petition to have it discontinued.
- Christian Duke Students Refuse to Read Fun Home – Some conservative Christian Duke freshmen have refused to read Alison Bechdel’s Fun Home on the grounds that reading it would compromise their souls, or something like that. Amanda Marcotte points out that, contrary to what you may have read about liberals and their demands for trigger warnings, it’s actually conservatives who are refusing to engage with challenging material.
- Queerness More Accepted in Anime Characters than in Real Life Japanese – NPR has a story about Koki Hayashi, who started Japanese LGBT internet hub Letibee Life after he and his friends had faced rejection from family and friends for being queer.
- “Rentboy.com CEO and Six Employees Arrested on Prostitution Charges” – “Federal authorities in New York City have shut down online male escort service Rentboy.com and arrested the chief executive and six current and former employees on prostitution charges.” This, after scores of medical associations and human rights groups have spoken out in favor of legalizing prostitution.
- Cate Blanchett is Alluring in Carol Trailer – Go watch the trailer for Carol, the film adaptation of Patricia Highsmith’s novel “The Price of Salt,” a drama centering on a lesbian romance.
Featured image via Fun Home
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.