Quickies: Trans in Assassin’s Creed, “Straight Acting” in Stonewall, Mr. Smithers Comes Out
- “Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate” Features Trans Character – “Ubisoft’s “Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate,” the latest installment of the longstanding video game franchise, will introduce the series’ first transgender character. EuroGamer reports the character, Ned Wynert, will assign quests to the game’s protagonists, Jacob and Evie Fry.”
- Traveling While Trans, TSA Nightmare – [Warning: Autoplay] Following Shadi Petosky’s viral live-tweeting of her horrendous treatment by TSA officials in Orlando, Transgender Activist Jen Richards talks with HuffPo Live about her own experiences with TSA transphobia.
- “Joe Biden To Keynote Annual HRC Gala” – Biden will Keynote the 19th annual HRC National Dinner on October 3, 2015.
- Vladimir Putin Doesn’t, then Does Call Elton John – After the singer publicly criticized Putin for linking homosexuality with pedophile, John received a prank call from some Russians pretending to be Putin. A few weeks later, the real Putin called John, asked him not to hold a grudge against the pranksters, and offered to meet if their schedules aligned.
- “Why ‘Straight Acting’ Insults the Memory of Stonewall” – [Warning: Autoplay] Matt Baum explains exactly how offensive it was of Roland Emmerich to center his Stonewall movie around a fictional cis, white, “straight acting” gay man.
- Early Reviews Pan Roland Emmerich’s Stonewall – Official reviews don’t come out until today, but leaks from the Toronto International Film Festival are giving the flick a thumbs down.
- Young Queer Men of Color Face Heightened Risk of HIV, Homelessness – “Being gay or bisexual and a man of color in this country comes with plenty of barriers to fulfilling life goals, which include poverty, marginalization, and criminalization. These challenges are the brutal drivers of homelessness and survival sex for these young men.”
- 21 Shows Featuring Queer Women This Fall – SheWired has the rundown of this season’s queer women.
- Mr. Smithers to Come Out – The Simpsons character is finally going to come out as gay in the 27th season of the animated sitcom.
Featured image via Ubisoft
Stonewall was covered on Daily Kos
It’s…Like I’ve always said, Hollywood’s not comfortable with any vision of LGBT life that isn’t just like heterosexuality except with matching genitalia, preferably white. Since the actual riots were anything but middle-to-upper-class white cis guys who conveniently act just like heterosexuals except they’re both guys, Hollywood isn’t comfortable with it. Or they think America isn’t. But really Hollywood isn’t and they’re projecting.
The real tragedy is, as awful as it is, they’ll conclude audiences don’t want to see movies about LGBT history.