Quickies: Laverne Cox as Dr Frank-N-Furter, Pelosi & White House on Trans Murders, Famous YA Author Comes Out
- Laverne Cox Cast as Dr Frank-N-Furter in Rocky Horror Remake – Cox will play the “sweet transvestite from transsexual Transylvania.” Reactions in the trans blogosphere have been mixed. What are your thoughts?
- Pelosi, White House Address Trans Murders – House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) spoke of winning over hearts and minds, the importance of listening to the trans community, and the difficulty of passing trans-inclusive hate crimes legislation and anti-discrimination legislation.
- YA Author James Dawson Comes Out as Trans – Dawson, who will use male pronouns until further along his transition, gave a long and in-depth interview to Gawker. Topics include Dawson’s challenge accepting his gender, the difficult realization that transitioning will not make him a cis woman, the bombardment of sexist expectations of women, and the month’s long wait to get an appointment at the NHS Gender Identity Clinic.
- Students Aim to Cancel Greer’s Talk After Transphobic Comments – Recent comments in which Germaine Greer denied the existence of transphobia brought new attention to her long-held stance that trans women are not women. The Second Wave feminist is scheduled to talk at Cardiff University in Wales on the 18th of November, but students are rallying to have her talk canceled, and have created a petition to voice their opposition to having a trans denialist speak at their campus.
- “Russia Poised to Criminalize Coming Out” – “If the proposed amendment is signed into law, anyone who publicly declares a “‘non-traditional sexual orientation’ could be fined $5,000 roubles ($80) for ‘demonstrating [their] own expressed sexual preferences in public places,” reports Newsweek Europe. Making such a declaration in a school, “cultural establishment,” or government building could land the offender in jail for 15 days.”
- Indonesian Province Makes Homosexuality Punishable by Caning – The Indonesian province of Aceh enforces Sharia law. The new law coming into effect this week outlaws same-sex acts for citizens and tourists.
- Vatican Still Opposes Same-Sex Marriage – Sorry, LGB Catholics. Have you heard the Good News of Atheism?
- NFL Team Owner Rescinds Hate-Group Contribution – Last week we reported that Houston Texans owner Bob McNair had donated $10,000 to anti-LGBT activists trying to keep transgender people from using public restrooms. Now, he’s asking them to return his donation, saying he misunderstood their mission, and that they have repeatedly misrepresented his opposition to the legislation in question.
- “The 13 Most Homoerotic Horror Movies Of All Time” – “Halloween is the perfect time of year to watch a horror movie. And if you can find a little gay subtext in your slasher flick, so much the better.”
Featured image via Rolling Stone