- “Portugal Grants Adoption Rights to Same-Sex Couples” – In addition to adoption rights, the new law will increase access to family planning services and reduce restrictions on abortion. Way to go, Portugal!
- Anti-Gay Laws Deleterious to Fight Against HIV/AIDS – A study looking at former British colonies found higher rates of HIV infection and lower rates of treatment in countries where same-sex relations were outlawed.
- Self-Harm Common in Queer Yorkshire Girls – “The [Growing up in Yorkshire] report found that of those surveyed, 41% of LGBT year 10s had experienced bullying and 54% of girls who identified as LGBT had self harmed.”
- “Ohio Highway Section Memorializes Leelah Alcorn” – “Almost one year ago, transgender teen Leelah Alcorn took her life along a stretch of Interstate 71 near Kings Mill, Ohio… On Friday, a tribute went up along I-71 that aims to honor the 17-year-old’s short life. Alcorn’s friends and supporters teamed up to participate in the state’s Adopt-a-Highway program, placing a sign reading “In memory of Leelah Alcorn” along the Ohio highway where Alcorn’s body was found.”
- Philadelphia Bars and Restaurant to Get All-Gender Bathrooms – Single-occupancy bathrooms in bars and restaurants will now have to be gender-neutral in accordance with a new law signed by the Mayor on Thursday.
- “Lesbians on the Silver Screen From Desert Hearts to Carol” – Slate has a fascinating look at lesbian film history.
- Transparent Season 2 Trailer Released – Watch it here.
Featured image: Portugal Pride 2013