Quickies: Mya Taylor Wins Spirit Award, Portugal Outlaws Street Harassment, Star Wars Getting Gayer
Updated March 1 at 4:20pm EST
- Mya Taylor First Out Trans Actor to Win Spirit Award – Taylor won Best Supporting Female for her role in Tangerine.
- Trans Woman Allegedly Fired Because – Management didn’t know which bathroom she should use. Update: KFC fired the manager and offered the woman a minimum wage job at the Richmond KFC of her choice.
- PrEP: 99% Protection Means 1% Transmission – That someone on PrEP became infected with HIV doesn’t diminish PrEP’s value in fighting the transmission of HIV.
- Swiss Reject Marriage Tax Break With Poison Pill – The bill would have defined marriage as between one man and one woman. Switzerland currently recognizes same-sex registered partnerships.
- Portugal Outlaws Street Harassment – “The Social Democratic Party in Portugal moved to criminalise verbal sexual abuse. Those found guilty of the office can be fined up to €120, or can even be jailed for up to a year.”
- “Ellen Page on Her Sweet, Distressing, Heart-Wrenching New LGBTQ Travel Show” – “While the show begins on familiar ground—with visits to Tokyo’s gay bars and interviews with straight women who are obsessed with graphic gay manga—some of the later scenes, including a young man coming out to his mother while Page and Daniel sit alongside them both, are wonderfully raw and real.”
- J.J. Abrams: Star Wars Getting a Little Gayer – Abrams said, “To me, the fun of Star Wars is the glory of possibility. So it seems insanely narrow-minded and counterintuitive to say that there wouldn’t be a homosexual character in that world.” Probably won’t be giving us Finn/Poe, though. From critical dragon1177.
Featured image via Chris Pizzello, Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP
This is almost obligatory.